As promised previously, we will be keeping you up to date with developments in the General Assembly. On Wednesday, March 11, 2015, the General Assembly’s Education Committee will conduct a public hearing on the following proposed bills:
- S.B. No. 1058 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING CHRONIC ABSENTEEISM. (ED)
- H.B. No. 6974 (RAISED) AN ACT IMPLEMENTING THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE ACHIEVEMENT GAP TASK FORCE CONCERNING THE CREATION OF A DIRECTOR OF READING INITIATIVES AT THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION. (ED)
- S.B. No. 1054 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING STUDENTS WITH DYSLEXIA. (ED)
- H.B. No. 6977 (RAISED) AN ACT ESTABLISHING QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION. (ED)
- S.B. No. 1053 (RAISED) AN ACT PROHIBITING OUT-OF-SCHOOL SUSPENSIONS AND EXPULSIONS FOR STUDENTS IN PRESCHOOL AND GRADES KINDERGARTEN TO TWO. (ED)
- H.B. No. 6975 (RAISED) AN ACT ESTABLISHING A TASK FORCE TO STUDY LIFE-THREATENING FOOD ALLERGIES IN SCHOOLS. (ED)
- S.B. No. 1056 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE EXCESS COST THRESHOLD AND THE COLLECTION OF DATA RELATING TO PER PUPIL COSTS FOR SPECIAL EDUCATION. (ED)
- H.B. No. 6968 (RAISED) AN ACT AUTHORIZING THE USE OF SCHOOL PARAPROFESSIONALS TO SERVE AS SHORT-TERM SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS. (ED)
- S.B. No. 1055 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING GIFTED AND TALENTED STUDENTS. (ED)
- H.B. No. 6978 (RAISED) AN ACT REQUIRING THE COMMISSIONER OF EDUCATION TO DEVELOP AND SUBMIT A COMPREHENSIVE STATE-WIDE INTERDISTRICT MAGNET SCHOOL PLAN. (ED)
- S.B. No. 1059 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS. (ED)
- H.B. No. 6976 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING A STUDY OF RECOVERY HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS. (ED)
- S.B. No. 1060 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE USE OF RESTRAINT AND SECLUSION IN SCHOOLS. (ED)
- H.B. No. 6979 (RAISED) AN ACT ESTABLISHING A TASK FORCE TO STUDY DECLINING STUDENT ENROLLMENT. (ED)
- S.B. No. 1057 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE DEVELOPMENT OF A ROLLING THREE-YEAR CAPITAL IMPROVEMENT AND CAPITAL EQUIPMENT PLAN FOR THE TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL SYSTEM. (ED)
- H.B. No. 6980 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE TIMING OF TEACHER PERFORMANCE EVALUATIONS. (ED)
The hearing will take place at 11:30 A.M. in Room 2C of the Legislative Office Building.
The fact that a public hearing has been scheduled on these bills is not necessarily an indication that the Committee will pass these bills, but it is at least an indication that such bills are under serious consideration. Should these bills advance toward a vote by the Committee, we will provide more detail as to their contents.
As we indicated previously, the deadline for the Education Committee to approve and “forward” bills out of Committee is March 30, 2015. Bills affecting education issues may also emerge from other committees, and bills effecting labor and employment issues that may emerge from the Labor and Public Employees Committee are being tracked on our sister blog, “Working Together.” Stay tuned.